Pornsak Pichetshote Launches The Horizon Experiment, Daniel Warren Johnson And Riley Rossmo Team Up, Marvel Coca-Cola Variant Covers Coming | Comic Book Club News For June 14, 2024

comic book club news june 14 2024

Creator Pornsak Pichetshote challenges all-star teams in Image Comics’ The Horizon Experiment. Daniel Warren Johnson and Riley Rossmo team up for new comic The Moon Is Following Us. Marvel is launching a series of Coca-Cola variant covers. All on Comic Book Club News for June 14, 2024.


Powered by RedCircle

Episode Transcript:

Pornsak Pichetshote launches Horizon Experiment

Daniel Warren Johnson and Riley Rossmo team up.

Marvel Coca-Cola variant covers coming.

This is Comic Book Club News for June 14, 2024.

Pornsak Pichetshote Challenges All-Star Teams For Horizon Experiment:

Pornsak Pichetshote is a lauded creator known for The Good Asian, a book that filtered a classic detective noir through an Asian lens. And now he’s challenging other creators to do the same in a series of one-shot pilot comics from Image collectively called The Horizon Experiment.

Said Pichetshote via press release provided to Comic Book Club: “I’m fascinated with taking popular genres, like horror and noir, and seeing what they’d look like from diverse perspectives… But, I’ve been limited to my own experiences. So, for The Horizon Experiment, I decided to use the same mentality but open it up to other people, inviting some of the most talented people I know to work on it.”

The experiment will kick off with The Manchurian, written by Pichetshote with art by Terry and Rachel Dodson, which will focus on a Chinese, James Bond-style agent. Next up, The Sacred Damned by Sabir Pirzada and Michael Walsh, about a Muslim exorcist. Moon Dogs will focus on a family of Black, African lycanthropes, from Tananarive Due, Kelsey Ramsey, both relative comic newcomers. J. Holtham and Michael Lee Harris tackle Motherf#cking Monsters, which is about a Black kid stumbling across a demon-worshipping frat, and is described as “Sam Raimi and Edgar Wright, set to a Wu-Tang soundtrack.”

Last but not least, Vita Ayala and Skylar Patridge team up for Finders / Keepers, a reverse Indiana Jones about an “archeology grad student… who steals artifacts from museums to return them to their native cultures.”

The first issue will hit stores on September 25, with new issues monthly — and all featuring connecting variant covers by Tula Lotay.

Daniel Warren Johnson And Riley Rossmo Team Up For The Moon Is Following Us:

In more rad comic book news, which I guess is supposed to be the concept of this podcast, Daniel Warren Johnson has announced the next comic he’s writing: The Moon Is Following Us, with Riley Rossmo.

On the origins of the book, Johnson had this to say, via his newsletter: “The title came from my daughter Fiona, during a walk a few years back. We were walking to the park in the evening, and she saw the moon in the sky. ‘Look, Dad! The moon!’ We then were swinging on the swings when she saw the moon once more. ‘Dad! It’s the moon again.’ And it was during our walk home that she looked up and exclaimed ‘Dad, the moon is following us!’ And the title (and the vibe) was born! This book is incredibly personal for Riley and myself. It’s a comic about family and about parenthood, but it also has sweet snake monsters.”

The even better news is that according to Johnson while Rossmo will be drawing 85% of the book, Johnson will be doing the other 15%. The first issue will hit stores from Image Comics on September 18.

Marvel Launching Coca-Cola Variant Covers In August:

Recently, Coca-Cola launched a series of cans featuring Marvel characters, with an AR tie-in where you can get the characters on the cans to interact. So far, I haven’t gotten it to work at all, but maybe that’s a “me” problem. Anyway, Marvel is repaying the favor with a series of Coca-Cola variant covers in August.

The six variant covers will run weekly in August, and feature everyone from Ant-Man to Deadpool and Blade as they have fun with Coca-Cola bottles. Also probably important to mention the characters are all tiny, smaller than the bottles, just like they are in that one Coke commercial.

Anyway, I like Coke, and I like comics, so who am I to throw stones? I am no one.

For Comic Book Club News, I’m Alex Zalben. And a fun bit for comic book store owners, if a customer asks for the Coca-Cola variants, say, “sorry, all we have are Pepsi variants. Is that okay?”

Got tips or stories you’d like us to cover? Email us at

For more comic book news, reviews, and interviews, check out

Listen early and ad-free on

Leave a Reply